Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Vet visit

I took the babies to see Dr. Lukacs just to get checked out. I took stool samples to be checked for coccidia (a protozoan parasite). Dr. Lukacs checked it out and he only saw a few dying cocci, so he recommended that I buy a feed that has a coccidiostat to help keep the numbers under control until they are old enough to handle them without assistance. They both are having trouble with runny poops - most likely due to the abrupt switch over to cow's milk from goat's milk. Ideally I would have slowly transitioned them over a period of one to two weeks, but unfortunately, I don't have access to fresh goat's milk. Other than the runs, they don't seem to be bothered by the switch. Juniper weighs 9 lbs. and Tulip weighs 10 lbs. I am to continue to keep them separated from Ginger and Clover to get them used to the germy climate of the Seven Valleys farm - up to two weeks if I can handle it. The girls got a clean bill of health, and as usual, Dr. Lukacs and I discussed goats at great length; this time he didn't even charge me for it!

No comments: