Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Hoof Trimming

The goaties got their first hoof trimming (by me) this morning. Ginger wasn’t thrilled by being held in one spot, but I managed to overpower her and do my thing. I was nervous that I might cut too far and make her bleed. I can’t really see where the line is, so I just have to imagine where I think it might be. They weren’t very much in need of trimming – Dr. Lukacs trimmed them in March to show me how to do it. I was able to do all of her feet with no problems, and it seemed fairly easy. Then it was Clover’s turn; she was much more in need of a trim. I felt so confident that I boldly clipped away at her hooves. After one of the clips, she pulled her foot away quickly, and I realized that I had cut too deep and made her bleed. Argh! Prepared for such a disaster, I reached for the “Blue Kote” antiseptic spray and coated her wound – and my boots – and my gloves. Clover seems to have forgiven me for hurting her. After the hoof trimming, my clothes were covered with dirt; I didn’t realize how filthy those goats are. My next project will be… a goat bath!

No comments: