Wednesday, November 01, 2006

First Chevre



My first Chevre! It's so simple to make - you would not believe! Since I don't have my own goat milk supply yet, I went to Perrydell Farm to buy local raw goat milk. That night I put a gallon of the milk into a stainless steel pot and warmed it to 86 degrees. Then I put in a packet of "chevre starter" that I mail-ordered from New England Cheesemaking Supply Co. Stirred that in and let it sit at room temperature overnight (8 - 12 hours). In the morning I ladled it (with the help of my cheesemaking apprentice) into a cheesecloth line colander, then tied the four corners of the cheesecloth and let it hang to drain for 6 - 12 hours - the length of time depends on the degree of creaminess you'd like your chevre to be.



Then I salted it with cheese salt (not regular table salt) and finished off by filling four Weck jelly jars with the chevre. They look beautiful and taste so delicious! It really feels great to make your own delicious cheese! Posted by Picasa

No comments: