Monday, August 29, 2005

Crawdaddy

Jake, Asa and John were at the stream. Playing on the water's edge. Jake realized that something was in his boot. A tiny 2.5 inch crayfish had gotten in his boot. He wasn't too thrilled about that. The boys decided to keep it in a tin tub. I hope the poor thing lives. Asa likes to poke at it with a stick and watch it hop out of reach.
The current thinking with clearing the pasture is to rent a bush hog - if that's even possible. Maybe we could call a "landscaping" company to see if they offer some service like that. I found out that I need to check with the local EPA to see if there are regulations about having goats have direct access to the stream water. And to see if I need to be concerned about the goats drinking water out of that stream (with possible field run-off).
I haven't done any more clearing out of the goat barn. It's been difficult doing much of anything around the mill with both boys home all summer. They are very different boys with different opinions and ideas on what they like doing - and how to go about doing it. Jake started school today - and now I kind of have to feel my way into how Asa and I will spend our days together, just me and him. He usually seems to enjoy gardening and weeding with me, and going out the the mill. He loves exploring the outdoors just being outside - and so maybe I can get some work done out there with him as my "helper."
Here are my boys trying to feed the gigantic carp that are swimming in our stream. The fish seem completely uninterested in sliced turkey. But the guys keep trying.

No comments: