Monday, October 10, 2005

Learning to Make Cheese

I made a small batch of lemon cheese for the first time in a very long time. Asa was my assistant. I followed the directions. I'm sure of it. But, for some reason, it didn't coagulate. And it had a coarse texture instead of a smooth and creamy one. Then I put too much salt on it. Asa insisted on sampling some on a cracker. He announced that it was delicious. I had a different opinion. We went and bought two more quarts of goat's milk, and I plan to make more lemon cheese today. I am going to make it until I perfect it, then I'm going to make it a few more times. I have about a year and a half to work on my cheesemaking skills. I would love to be able to go and "intern" at a farm that makes cheeses. Learn from folks that know what they're doing. That would be really wonderful.
Our family went to the York Fair in September. Asa and I went together on a weekday - and we met a man who was there with his family showing their Alpine goats. They were winning ribbons left and right. The man, who I later found out to be Rick Musselman of Rainbow Colors farm, was milking one of his goats. I've never actually seen a goat (or a cow, for that matter) being milked. I was fascinated by this - so Asa and I stopped to watch. This man's hands moved so quickly. He was able to empty that udder in about 2-3 minutes - and I couldn't believe how much foamy warm milk emptied into the pail! I had so many questions for Rick, and he was happy to answer all of them. He was very friendly, warm, and full of goat information. He let Asa bottle-feel one of the kids that was just two months old. This thrilled Asa - he'd always wanted to do this. It was really nice to meet someone who has been doing for years what I hope to be doing very soon.

No comments: