Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Kids Are Growing Up

They're no longer babies. Acorn and Apple (the two in front) have shed their thick choppy winter coat. Didn't even notice Apple's coming out, but Acorn's shedding was dramatic. I thought he was sick with ringworm or lice, or lack of minerals. I just never noticed any of my goats losing their hair - so it took me aback at first. I helped remove it by combing him while he ate his grain.

Here is a ball of hair after one combing. Now that he is pretty much done shedding, he looks sleek and healthy, and considerably smaller than he had before.
Turnip is part Angora, so he lost some of his hair, but not the parts where his Angora hair has grown. His head, legs, front half of his back and chest all have beautiful short, straight hair. His angora hair is shiny and curly - not very long as of yet. It'll be interesting to watch him as he ages to see how his coat developes.

4 comments:

SweetMissDaisy (Anna Wight) said...

They look like they're coming around, and aren't as afraid as they were before. I hope this is the case! They're handsome fellas! =)

Coondog said...

hey if you need any help with the goats check out our goat message boards+

Dream Finder said...

I was looking through your pictures of your goats. They are gorgeous. When I was a kid we had a pet goat named Heidi. Then when I was an adult and my brother still lived at home he got two pigmy goats named Sugar and Spice. They were so funny. One of them loved to eat cigarette butts. Not real sure why.
My mom, in Illinois, makes soap with goats milk in it and my boss, in Virginia, she and her husband raise goats. Although, I don't know why. I don't know if they raise goats for the milk or what they raise them for.
Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I loved your pictures of your goats. They are really pretty animals.

Livestock Kenya said...

Very beautiful goats