Tuesday, October 24, 2006

chicken cannibals



This is what happens to the not-so-perfect eggs! The chickens crack 'em right open and start eating the contents. When one is opened up, they all run for it to get their fair share. This seems like odd behavior, but maybe that's normal with chickens... I wonder why these eggs are so pale and weak. I'm sure there is a reason behind this; I just can't find it in any of my reference books or online. They leave the nice eggs alone. Either it's because they feel they have the right to eat a non-viable egg, or they they can't crack open the nice, strong, healthy egg. Hmmm.
Post Note:
Oooooops! After doing a bit of research, I have learned that I am doing the wrong thing by basically encouraging my chickens to eat the "bad" eggs. That all ends today! When I see one of those weak eggs, I'll just throw it out instead of presenting it to the hens so they can bust it open and dig in. Only one egg was ever eaten without any help by me; so hopefully we can end this problem. Supposedly you should cull any chickens caught eating the eggs to prevent it from becoming a standard reaction by all of them to just eat the eggs.
I still can't find any information on eggs that are pale and covered with cracks and fissures.

No comments: