Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Pasture Grass

Apparently there's more to a pasture than simply a fenced-in open parcel of land. I went to the Small Farm Expo this summer in the Poconos. There, I sat in on a lecture about maintaining a pasture. What I learned blew my mind. I just simply did not realize the extent to which folks go to have a quality pasture for their animals to feed from. I know that I have been naive - but I didn't know just how much so. I am ashamed! But, better find this out now than after I have goats to feed. I walked into the lecture with a hundred questions, and I walked out with ten thousand questions. Now I am trying to learn more about growing quality grasses, the best time to grow, and how to best maintain the pasture.
I don't have to pasture them, but I would like to if I am able. True, I only have about an acre and a half on which to put them - so it would be limited. But, better some than none, I think. I think that it would be quite an accomplishment for me to grow a nice pasture that I can use to sustain my goats on - if only in part.

No comments: